Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Cut butter into small cubes and add to flour and salt. Add shortening and knead until it resembles cornmeal.
- Add chopped herbs, egg and mustard.
- Mix until it forms a ball and then chill for 30 minutes.
- Dust with flour and roll half the dough into an 12” x 10” rectangle. Using a 4” wide cookie cutter or glass tumble cut the pastry into discs and line miniature muffin tins with them.
- Dock the shells by prinking holes in the bottom of the tartlet crust with a small fork. This will let the steam escape and prevent the tartlet crust from puffing up during baking.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and sauté sausage, onion and mushrooms until cooked.
- Add parsley, pepper and cheese.
- Fill each shell with a heaping teaspoon of filling.
- Bake for an additional 8-10 minutes.
- Serve warm.
*For a quick and easy alternative, you can purchase mini savoury tartlet shells.
*Use up the renaming shell crust by adding another flavour of tartlets to your appetizer. Try the recipe for Cranberry Chipotle Turkey Sausage Savoury Tartlets
*This appetizer can be made ahead of time and baked later.