- Make sure the turkey is thawed and the giblets and neck have been removed.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Pat the bird dry with paper towels.
- Rub the turkey with olive oil, inside and out.
- Combine all spices to make a rub. Sprinkle generously onto the bird, inside and out.
- Place the bird into your roasting pan. Add the wine and the broth.
- Roast the turkey for 4 – 4 ½ hours, until the juices run clear and an instant thermometer reads 170°F in the thigh.
- Generously apply glaze directly onto the turkey in the last 30 minutes of cooking. Return the turkey to the oven and then re-apply in the last five minutes of cooking.
- Once cooked, remove the turkey from the oven and let it rest for at least 20 minutes before carving.
Cooking times are for planning purposes only – always use a digital meat thermometer to determine doneness.
Prepare Glaze While Turkey is Cooking:
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer for 20 – 30 minutes until glaze is thick and syrupy. Remove fresh thyme stems and discard. If you are using a chunkier style of apple butter and you want a smoother glaze, use a hand blender to blend the glaze until smooth.
- Can be made up to 1 week ahead.